Quarantine Cup Grammar

Trust Eight Graders to turn an average grammar assignment into something...well...a little weird! We're studying sentence structure, and when challenged to vary the types of sentences they use in their writing, this is what they came up with. If you are grammatically inclined, you can look for simple, compound, complex, compound-complex sentences, short sentences, and parallel structure. Or you can just enjoy the view of life in middle school. (Color of type represents the Quarantine Cup color.) Team points are tallied at the end!

Honorable Mentions:

I have to write a paragraph. It must be good, and it must be clever. I will write out my thoughts when I think of them. If I want a good grade, I should follow the instructions and I should make my story interesting.  Everyone likes descriptions of nature, or legends in sports. What about heroic descriptions of nature games? It's rainy today. I should get some food, and I should watch a movie after I finish this. I think I'm now done. (Andrew)


I like bananas, but Dave likes apples. I do not like apples. Apples disgust me because they are red. If you give me an apple, I will not eat it, but I will throw it. I love throwing apples. I throw them off the roof, out the window, and into the fireplace. One time I hit a cat with my apple. It squealed, arched it’s back, and ran away. I laughed. (Eli)

I am bored. I am very bored and I am very tired. I am very bored and tired. I am very bored and I am very tired, very tired indeed. I do not like running, swimming and bicycling when I am tired. This was not entertaining. (Jack)


Cookies are the best kind of dessert. If you like chocolate, you can add chocolate chips to your cookies. Cookies go good with milk, and you can add them into your ice cream. If you are weird (like Zach Johnson) raisins can be put into cookies, so your cookies can be healthier. You can bake them, eat them, and dip them. Eat more cookies! (Jaaron)



I made cookies. Of course, these were chocolate chip cookies, and my dog ate them even though I told him not to. He took them, guzzled them up, and puked them out. When I found out he ate them, I was angry. Even though I love him, I walked over to him and scolded him. (Maddie)


A day in the life of a quaran-TEEN. When I woke up yesterday morning, I put on clothes, and I went upstairs. I ate toast, and I did my schoolwork. After I ate lunch, I went outside with Evie. Later, I called my friends, danced on Zoom, and watched TV. Quarantine stinks. (Clare)

I ate a fish. While it was on my plate, it talked. It said "fish sticks," and it did a little jig. I was feeling a little sad for what I was about to do, so I apologized to the fish while it was still alive. Then I ate it fin, stick and all. I need help. (Sam)

My mom made a delicious dinner and dessert. We were so hungry, so we began running around the house. Because we were running around the house, my mom rushed to make dinner. My mom burnt dinner because the oven was too hot, so we just ate the dessert. Once we finished dessert, we decided to mop the house, clean the oven, and wash the dishes. Bring us food! (Lydia V)


The First Runner Up:
The road trip starts out with an excited feel to it. However, three hours in, the kids are near strangling each other in the back seats, and my parents just blast the music to drown out the screaming. The night is filled with tossing, turning, and kicking, with no one getting much sleep. In the morning, SOMEBODY gets sick--guaranteed--and another SOMEBODY has to go to the bathroom five minutes after we leave a rest stop. I want out. (Juli)


AND THE WINNER IS:

I hurried over to school and met the rest of Team Red on the way. Jaaron worked on breaking the door open, while Taylor grabbed the watermelons. A watermelon is a fruit that is commonly used for a snack. Gavin asked Mrs. Amen if watermelons are good to throw, and she said yes. Exploding watermelons make for good slo-mos. Our team had a great time screaming, throwing, and exploding every watermelon we had. (Ava)


Disclaimer: This image is NOT from the Red Team. They did NOT break into the school. This is left over from the "Welcome to Distance Learning" video. A good idea for the Cup Prize?!


TEAM STANDINGS
Red Team: 56
Blue Team: 29
Green Team: 48
Orange Team: 40




Comments

  1. Blue team is clearly at the bottom, which is also known as the opposite top, so technically, blue is winning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but technically, red is crushing blue

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Punctuation: The Cookie Round

A Thank-You to Health Care Workers