Fun With Punctuation

Who knew punctuation could be so funny? Thank you, Eighth Graders, for continuing
to entertain me!

The color of the text indicates the color of the Quarantine Cup Team. Today's submissions
are worth one point each in the randomly funny category:

Use a comma to set off a dependent clause:

When Mrs. Amen screamed, I jumped almost out of my seat.

Use a colon to signal that a list is coming:
I like kicking, throwing, and jumping on watermelons. 
Here’s what I need: a couple of Doritos, some Chicken tenders, and a Dr. Pepper.
He packed things including: an appetite, an attitude, and clothes.

Use a colon to signal that an explanation is coming:
Food makes be feels good: there isn’t that much to explain other than I’m hungry
I am taking this watermelon for an experiment: throwing it off a roof.
We need new pipes: our old ones are leaking and now I have to swim out of my room.
Well at least I get my daily exercise.

Use a semicolon to join two independent clauses
Burgers are amazing; they are God’s gift to humanity.
I'm not afraid of heights; its gravity that I have a problem with.
My dog always wants extra food; we are weak and always give it to him.


Use a dash correctly
They say failure is the recipe for success--clearly they never sky-dived.

Use parentheses correctly, and earning 2 points for catching me at my own game:
I heard we are not supposed to use parentheses, from Mrs. Amen (undisclosed date- present).

    Cup Points (for this portion--many more to come!)

    Red Team: 58
    Blue Team: 31
    Green Team: 53
    Orange Team: 44

    Will the RED TEAM hang on to the lead? Stay tuned...

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Quarantine Cup Grammar

    Punctuation: The Cookie Round

    A Thank-You to Health Care Workers